At least 49 terrorists have reportedly surrendered to troops of Operation Hadin Kai in Damboa LGA of Borno state.
The terrorists, including two Boko Haram commanders, were said to have surrendered on Sunday.
According to Zagazola Makama, a publication focused on the Lake Chad region, the Boko Haram commanders were identified as Ba’a Usman (Munzir) and Alhaji Ari (Nakib).
“Preliminary investigation revealed that the insurgents came out from Sambisa forest, where they have been hiding and waging a campaign of terror,” a source was quoted as saying.
“The sustained onslaughts on the insurgents under the kinetic and non-kinetic approaches led to the mass surrender.”
In recent months, many terrorists have surrendered to Nigerian troops.
In July, five Boko Haram fighters including Mallam Isa, a commander, surrendered to troops in Borno.
Christopher Musa, a major-general and commander of Operation Hadin Kai, in a recent interview with TheCable, had said the terrorists are surrendering because they want to live a normal life.
Musa said over 70,000 insurgents have so far surrendered to Nigerian troops.