April 21, 2024

April 21, 2024

Lagos BRT Driver Reportedly Kidnap Passenger As Police Launch Manhunt

The Nigerian Police has been placed under high alert and serious manhunt for a BRT driver in whose bus Miss Oluwabamise Ayanwola was reportedly kidnapped.


The 22-year-old lady, who is a fashion designer was heading to Ota from Ajah on February 26 when she boarded a BRT bus with number 240257 going to Oshodi at about 7:00 p.m. at Chevron Bus Stop.

However, realising that the bus did not pick any other passenger at subsequent bus stops, Ms Ayanwola engaged a friend using voice notes on her phone. The voice notes showed that the bus driver said he liked her, asking for her name and other details.


She told her friend to pray for her as she became suspicious of the bus driver and in response, the friend told her to alight at Oworonsoki bus stop.


Ms Ayanwola also sent a video to her friend showing how dark it was in the bus and said: “There are three men and one woman in the bus. The woman is sitting at the back. That’s the number of the bus in case. Please, pray for me.’’


That was the last that was heard from Ms Ayanwola.


Meanwhile, Ms Ayanwola’s family held a meeting with the Lagos Bus Service Ltd. (LBSL), operators of BRT on Wednesday. It was learnt that the driver of the bus had not been seen and also the guarantor was nowhere to be found.


Johnson Omilana, a family member who reported at Akinpelu Police Station said Ms Ayanwola had not been seen since she left Ajah on Saturday.


“We met with the BRT general manager and about three other management staff who told us that the matter was being shared on social media and that might jeopardise police investigation. The BRT management told us that they were working with the police to make sure the missing girl is rescued,” explained Mr Omilana.


He added, “The management also told us that they do not employ drivers directly and that the consultants involved are being sanctioned because of the incident.”


The Managing Director of LBSL, Idowu Oguntona, did not respond to calls and messages regarding updates on the incident.


Police spokesman Adekunle Ajisebutu confirmed that the incident was under investigation.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *