July 13, 2024

July 13, 2024

Update: Policeman Involved In Accident, Not Mobbed Over Shooting, Lagos PPRO Clears Air

The Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Police Command, Benjamin Hundeyin, has refuted the viral video claiming that a police officer shot a man in the Ketu area of the state on Monday.

The Police spokesman disclosed this while reacting to report, via his Twitter handle, that one of the officers of the Command shot a man simply identified as Yusuf in the Ketu area.

Meanwhile, the controversy emerged when a video surfaced, showing a man with a bloodied hand being placed in a commercial bus after sustaining an injury after being allegedly shot by a police officer.

 

However, the officer in question was seen on the ground, with the onlookers claiming that he was assaulted by an angry mob while attempting to flee the scene after allegedly shooting the bloodied man.

Dismissing the claims, the Lagos PPRO said none of the people involved in the video was shot, adding that they were both victims of a road accident.

He said, “It often amazes me how ‘journalists’ will jettison fact-checking and conveniently adopt lock, stock, and barrel the sensational version of events narrated by passersby who themselves did not witness an event from the beginning.

“This was a road accident that occurred when a BRT bus hit a minibus that had been stopped by the police for illegally using the BRT lane.

“The person with the bloodied hand was not shot at all, let alone by the police. The person on the floor is a policeman, but was not beaten to stupor by anyone. They both were victims of the same accident.

“They have been rescued and are currently stable. Beating to stupor takes more than a second. How come there is no video/picture of the beating while it lasted?,” Hundeyin stated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *